The US is one of the top destinations when we talk about studying in world-class universities. Getting a degree from a US university is a cherished aspiration of every student as it can tremendously impact one’s career and open the doors of opportunities and growth.
But, all the international students need a valid student visa, an F-1 visa for pursuing higher studies in the United States. If you don’t have a valid F-1 visa, you won’t be allowed to enroll in any of the US universities of your choice. You need to complete all the prerequisites to apply for the visa. However, sometimes even if you have all the supporting documents, there are still chances that your visa might get rejected. But, don’t worry, stay calm, you can reapply after a while or look for other options. You can also take help from USA study visa consultants near you, they may be able to help you better in such case.
There could be many possible reasons for your visa denial. Mostly, it depends upon the students, how they handle their visa interview.
Let’s have a look at some major reasons for US student visa refusal:
- Lack of intent to return home: Interviews are subjective, what you want to convey can be perceived wrongly by the other person. So, when giving an interview for the visa, be careful about the choice of your words. You must be able to convey that you understand the laws and are intended to return to your home country once your academic program completes. You must have all the required documents to prove the same.
- Failure to explain the choice of your course/college: Before going for the visa interview, make sure you have all the answers about your career goals and how will the course you have chosen help you achieve those. If you fail to answer why you have selected a particular course/university, your visa might get rejected. So, prepare all your answers well in advance.
- Rejection for not completing all the prerequisites: Applying for the F-1 visa is a time taking process. You need to have a valid passport and various other documents to prove your intention. Falsified documents, inadequate English language skills or not having a valid English language proficiency score(IELTS, TOEFL, PTE), GRE, GMA or a SAT score, missing or incorrect documents can be some other reasons for F-1 visa denial. So, make sure that you complete all the pre-requisite for your visa interview.
- Lack of evidence to proof sufficient finances: Your F-1 visa is most likely to be rejected if you do not provide enough documents to prove that you have enough funds to bear the first year of educational expenses. Financial evidence must show the liquid assets like cash that is available for use in immediate situations. You need to carry appropriate documents to prove what your family does in India, proof of investments and ownership of properties(if any).
- Refusal on the basis of inadmissibility: Your student visa will be rejected right away if you are found to meet one of the grounds of inadmissibility. You are inadmissible if you have ever been charged with criminal offenses or you have overstayed in the US in the past (more than 180 days).
And, sometimes your visa gets rejected for no obvious reason. Everyone doesn’t get a student visa. If there are a large number of applications, chances of visa rejections increase. The consular officer should inform you about the reason if your visa gets rejected.
Next step after visa denial
If your visa is rejected based on any of the reasons stated above, work to rectify them, and try again. You can also take advice from a trusted USA education consultants near you. Students can apply as many times as they want, there is no limit. However, you should first work on the possible reason for denial and improve your profile. Many students who are not able to get a visa in first and second tries, get it in the third. So stay calm and don’t lose hope.